Raspberry Pi 4

edited November 2020 in Supported devices
I understand it is not supported, am I right? If so, any plans to support it in the future?

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Hi there, just wondering if Emteria will support Raspberry Pi 4 eventually. Or from what I've heard the software will probably be backwards compatible anyway.

Also, with its specs the Raspberry Pi 4 might already get free Android support.
  • edited June 2019

How he could know that if he doesn't have it in hand? :)

It probably will require new kernel/boot files.
    I'm excited to purchase the 4GB version, install Android 9 Pie on it and see how it will perform.

I'm happy coz they released it earlier than i expected as my RPI3 HDMI died .

They probaby heard me coz RPI4 has 2 micro HDMI out so if one died you will can use the other. :D

• We have ordered a RPi 4 couple of days ago and will definitely take a look into it. Our main problem right now are limited resources.

• This is good to hear, as my old pi3+ just isn't fast enough.

• @roxette I know, I just thought I'd bring up the topic of the Raspberry Pi 4, which was only released a couple days ago.

I've also ordered the 4Gb version. I'd be interested to know if it would need a new kernal because I've read online that the software is backwards compatible with the Pi3b. Not sure whether that's true or not.

I wonder if it would also receive its own flashable Android images just like the Odroid (XU4, N2 etc), given that it's fast enough and should have enough power to run it.

• @kalkov Interesting, that's awesome. Emteria would awesome on the Pi4 I'm sure.

• @b1k3rdude True. But at least it runs on the Pi3+, the makers of the Pi3b kept saying Android would never run on their system and wouldnt support it. The only real issue I've had is after installing Opengapps.

• Same to me. After installing the OpenGapps, the whole system slow down and crashes regularly. Now I want to find a way to uninstall the OpenGapps. Is someone here know how to unistall this OpenGapps?

• Hi,

Emteria is not booting on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB model, what I tested so far is both the Raspberry Pi 3B/B+ image and the Raspberry CM-DevKit image (just to be sure ;) ).

Suggestions are welcome.

I am hoping the Emteria team gets there pi soon and figgers it out, 4GB of RAM will be a tipping point for Emteria.

• Dual screen support would be cool but could be a big ask I guess?

• Based on the latest Raspbian which supports RPI 4 hardware used kernel v4.19.50 hence i assume Emteria O.S will need a new kernel/firmware/boot files in order to work.

• Just interested in a timeline, I don't think I can swap out the kernel by myself ;)

• edited July 2019

Well, there has been no mention of an Emteria version for the Raspberry Pi 4 just yet since it just came out. It may even end up getting its own flashable Android images just like the Odroid. Too early to say.

• @Leos_electrone99 Yeah same here. There was a lot of freezing of the system. I don't know how to uninstall OpenGapps other than to a fresh flash of the image.

A good alternative to OpenGapps is to use NanoDroid/MicroG
    https://downloads.nanolx.org/NanoDroid/Stable/

• @kalkov

the only real reason to convert emteria will be support usb-drives for installing the OS cause the sdcard read performance has doubled from 22MB/s to approx 45MB/s but i thinks its still to slow to have an impact on performance. So if you develop the situation keep this in mind please.

• I understand it just came out but this seems a game changer for this os so the faster it's out there the better it would be for Emteria :smile:

• @kalkov anything we can keep an eye on for support updates for the Pi4?

• @rooky , the 4gb of ram would also make for a nice performance / usability boost 🎉

• @kalkov H264 video stream decoding? Will the RPi4 improve on the issues discussed in :
    https://forum.emteria.com/discussion/574/cron-gpu-memory-discussion#latest
    https://forum.emteria.com/discussion/552/gpu-issues/

I haven't seen anything on the RPi4 GPU memory allocation.

• @Cee123, I am happy to use my pi3, but the lag the last time I used it was a non-starter.

• @ BasicItStuff, as i saw on my pi 3 with open dabz, here maps and carplay the system was consuming less then 380 MB of Ram so, I dont think so... IT IS the storage subsystem where the limitations are, like modern PC systems, put a Intel i9 9900k with 64 GB of RAM in your system and let the OS run on an SATA I or for the fun SATA II or SATA 3.0 HDD and you'll see what i mean. Its not about the Big Block you know its how you can put so much power on the road.

• I understand but giving the same i9 9900k 1GB of RAM with super fast storage would also be a bottleneck , you having to choose between booting windows or running an app, oh wait ;)

• edited July 2019

@b1k3rdude Yeah true. I know what you mean. The hardware is too slow to run anything. And the freezing as well. Just tried mine again and my god was it slow.

• The raspberry pi 3 is fine for me, I mean it could be better with raspberry pi 4.

• Since we are developing Android 9 based on 4.19 kernel in the background anyways, this may be the first release for RPi4. However, there is no ETA yet, since many system components are not stable yet.

• @kalkov many thanks for the update here. Are you planning to integrate boot-up via USB 3.0?

• @kalkov said:
    Since we are developing Android 9 based on 4.19 kernel in the background anyways, this may be the first release for RPi4. However, there is no ETA yet, since many system components are not stable yet.

Android 9??!!! That would be awesome...

• That will keep this os super relevant 👍

• edited July 2019

I recently asked on the Raspberry Pi website if the Raspberry Pi 4 will eventually get its own official images of Android given that it's more powerful than the 3b, but they never replied back. I guess they just don't like that idea.

But, Odroid have been doing that. And so have some other single board computers. With my XU4 I can download both Android and Lineage OS images for it.

• @kalkov said:
    Since we are developing Android 9 based on 4.19 kernel in the background anyways, this may be the first release for RPi4. However, there is no ETA yet, since many system components are not stable yet.

That is great news 👍.

• Any update on this @kalkov

• edited August 2019

Sorry, my mistake. (Post Removed)

• I agree it would be a game-changer to get the Pi4 working on this.

• Agree, Raspbery Pi 4, very frustrating it does not work

• edited August 2019

Just wondering if Emteria could just be ported over or if it has to be re-made from scratch for the Pi 4. I asked the folks at Raspberry Pi, whether Raspberry Pi 4 will receive its own flashable Android images and, well, they never got back to me and were completely uninterested so...

• I suggest the new version of emteria for raspberry pi 3 and 4 should support both dsi and HDMI output at the same time. So, I can use the dsi (internal display) and HDMI (external display) to allow me connecting the pi with projector without disconnecting the dsi cable.

• Any updates? Timeline?

• I'm looking for this too. Would love to buy a Pi4 and run Emteria on it.

• Give is some time, it's probably not an easy task.

• edited September 2019

Even Retropie isn't out for Raspberry pi 4 yet. /disappointed.

• I think they made changes more than ever on the cpu side of things at the raspberry pi foundation. The pi 2, 3 and 3+ where very similar in cpu architecture i think, the 4 is a new start / different path

• Hello, this is my first message

Is there any news about Emteria supporting Raspberry Pi 4? I'm sure that the performance with the 4Gb version would be awesome.

I have tried Emteria with my RPi 3B+, but I need Gapps (some apps complaint if Google Play Services is not installed), and when I have installed it system turns so slow that I can't use it. That's why I have never paid for Emteria. But, if I try to install it in a RPi 4 and it works... that's something I would pay for.

• edited October 2019

Kind of disappointing that we have to pay for Emteria. Not to mention the cost of $69 AUD and the fact it runs so slow (especially with opengapps) that it's unusable. Given that Android on any other platform is free and open source.

• What's $69aud? Emteria or a pi 3 or 4?

• That's how much I paid originally for Emteria. :|

• not working on a rpi4,
    @unquimico Did you get the rpi3 image working on a rpi4 ?

• @Cee123 said:
    Kind of disappointing that we have to pay for Emteria. Not to mention the cost of $69 AUD and the fact it runs so slow (especially with opengapps) that it's unusable. Given that Android on any other platform is free and open source.

Here you go: https://source.android.com/
    There's the complete Android source. I eagerly await your free rpi4 distribution :smiley:

• edited October 2019

@DaireQuinlan At least I've been trying to help some people with some technical issues here. Even if I don't (more often than not) know what I'm talking about at least I've been trying to help people. I'm interested in this stuff as well and I'm still learning much the same as anyone else here. I've actually contributed. Which is more than what I can say for you - a troll who just signed up the other day to make a cheap sarcastic remark towards me. Next time, dont use your real name. lol :)

• Is there a time frame for Android 9 on the Raspberry Pi 3 and or the Raspberry Pi 4?

• @RolandB said:
    not working on a rpi4,
    @unquimico Did you get the rpi3 image working on a rpi4 ?

I tried to, but it didn't work. It didn't even boot or display anything on the screen.

• I wish Raspberry Pi 4 was backwards compatible with Raspberry 3b software. :(

• @Cee123 said:
    I wish Raspberry Pi 4 was backwards compatible with Raspberry 3b software. :(

This

• Is there any development going on with Emteria? I am holding off on buying the personal license until a stable version of 3.8 (with the 7" display fix) comes out

• Hi, anyone here knows if RPI4 support Android? If not what shall I do in order to have a Smart Magic Mirror with RPI4?
    Thanks

• edited November 2019

I just gave up on Android for Raspberry Pi. Android works better on the Odroid XU4 and Odroid N2.

https://youtu.be/ZALvlOVTfKU

• There is android 9 for raspberry pi 4. And it works surprisingly good. Offcourse SDcard r/w is the bottleneck, but still pretty usable. It was compiled by KonstaKANG

• @Skrimo said:
    There is android 9 for raspberry pi 4. And it works surprisingly good. Offcourse SDcard r/w is the bottleneck, but still pretty usable. It was compiled by KonstaKANG

Really? He compiled a version for Raspberry Pi 4? When did this happen? I'm definitely going to check it out. Thank you so much!

• I believe it was on January 6th.

• I tested it. It's not fast :(
    Tested on a 4gb model.
    Respect for the work that went into it tho.

• You just simply cannot expect it to be fast, because of SDcard read/write speed on the raspberry is somewhat slow.

• @BasicItStuff said:
    I tested it. It's not fast :(
    Tested on a 4gb model.
    Respect for the work that went into it tho.

Yeah you're right. It's too slow, even on the Raspberry Pi 4. I think it still hasn't got the drivers for the Raspberry Pi 4. I'm not sure.

• @Skrimo said:
    You just simply cannot expect it to be fast, because of SDcard read/write speed on the raspberry is somewhat slow.

That's true. Also, you can get a much faster and more useable experience with Android on an Odroid board.

• edited January 2020

@Cee123 said:

@Skrimo said:
    You just simply cannot expect it to be fast, because of SDcard read/write speed on the raspberry is somewhat slow.

That's true. Also, you can get a much faster and more useable experience with Android on an Odroid board.

Yes and on a lot of other boards, but this problem is storage related. It seems an sdcard slot will do about 23 to 24 MBps and that will not be enough. Running the os over USB 3 of an SSD would be an improvement but would involve rewiring everything I guess?

• @kalkov said:

Just bumping this as its been over a year

• I need Emtertia OS for Pi 4 for too.
    I hope it comes in the near future.
  • There is a post somewhere on this forum about that. There working on it if I am correct. Hoping they will release the same time as raspberry pi CM4 for reasons
  • Anyone have any updates on this? the project i want to use Emteria for is a little too cumbersome for a Pi3, but a Pi4 runs it just fine... so, I am at a halt and/or looking for other (even paid) options... I guess the first solution i find gets my money! :)
  • We have released the first version of Android 9 for RPi 4 to several beta users and now incorporating their feedback. Once we have a stable, updatable version, we will make it public and decide whether we want to polish other features or switch to Android 11 instead.

• will it boot from USB 3 port? I don't have SD card that I can use.

• @jacob I don't think so. I would also in general recommend an SD card.