Some questions and feedbacks after my first day of evaluation

I have been testing on the RPI3 B+, using the latest version of emteria.os. I take this quite serious since I need stable platform for my business.
Version used:
rpi3-userdebug 7.1.2 N2G48H eng.kalkov.20180730.182506
Emteria.OS 0.5.21
New 16Gb Sandisk Ultra 98MB/s

• Is this a debug image? does it mean it performs worse, or is less stable?
  • In the first moments of my tests, the system was quite unstable, mostly the launcher kepts dying,
    I was just trying different things such as browsing a few pages, trying to watch some youtube
    videos etc. Seems like the system is more stable now, still random crashes with the browser, etc.

• The version of the browser is very old, chrome 52 (a couple of years old), latest version is 70.

• There is a "contacts" app preinstalled, I wonder why would someone want to have that on a IoT device?
    probably the same with the Clock, Calendar and Email apps.

• Sometimes the device just reboots without warning, seems to happen easier while browsing youtube.com

• Random "Android Keyboard (AOSP) keeps stopping". When this happens it is better to reboot, since the
    system keeps creashing.

• Video playing on the browser is very slow, like no more than 5fps. Also the image appears dithered,
    as if the video player was not runing in RGB888 but instead on some 16 bit resolution such as ARG565.

• Trying to download apps with F-Droid did not work either, or at least I was not able to do it, random crashes
    or unresponsiveness.

I tested by the way on two different RPI devices, just to rule out possible hw problems, besides running raspian did
not exhibit these instabilities.
Overall seems like the OS is still not really production ready, shows a lot of potential and I would love
to see it become stable, but as it is now it is not useable in any comercial scenario, at least not on a
stock RPI3. I would be glad to help with ADB logcats or whatever I could do to help iron out the issues, just
let me know.

Comments

• I think it would help the dev if you post the resolution you were running. Graphics is not the strongest thing on a raspberry pi, might be the source of you instability.
  • @Nabula I don't think so, it is the standard installation, with zero changes in configuration. Besides the same hw running raspbian in a higher resolution works rock solid.

• @manast said:

There is a "contacts" app preinstalled, I wonder why would someone want to have that on a IoT device?
    probably the same with the Clock, Calendar and Email apps.

Business customers can customize their emteria.OS and there is an option that lets you remove apps like these.

And it's really weird that you could not download any apps over F-Droid. Always worked fine in our lab.

Well, thanks for testing and summarizing your problems!

• @manast , please read this "# Known Issues
    Common system freezes on devices with high screen resolution: [forum discussion]" here is the link: https://help.emteria.com/kb/devices-rpi-3

Please post your resolution.