Rotate display - need to rotate the screen due to mounting issues

Hi all,

after fixing my resolution issues with a lot of help of kalkov (many thanks for that), I reached another rock (of three rocks - hm, two rocks and a stone) that has to move out of the way.
Due to the screen has the connectors on the upper left corner, I have to rotate the screen by 180 degrees to mount it in the screen housing that will be placed at the top of the cockpit in the car. The housing is not wide enough for the cabling. That means, that the display has to be rotated by 180 degrees, too.

Basically, I found to switches for the config.txt that can be used for rotation:
lcd_rotate=[0-3] 0,90,180,270
display_rotate=[0-3]

lcd_rotate should rotate the screen and the touchscreen (if in place - yes, it is).
display_rotate will only rotate the screen. The touchscreen stays in the former angle.

As I found out, the option "lcd_rotate" is not working for me at all. Neither the display, nor the touchscreen is rotating by any option. Only "display_rotate" works fine. The boot messages and the Android Desk are on 180 deg now. But, as expected unfortunately, the touchscreen is totally wrong now and is bottom up.

I found other topics, where some Android apps are adviced to change or rotate the screen. Yes, they are working, but the whole post and boot is bottom up then. Also the first seconds after Android desk appears are bottom up. In sum, the whole boot sequence don't look "right".
Is there an option to rotate the display and the touchscreen from beginning?
Did I do a mistake and the option "lcd_rotate" is working normally?

Many thanks and best regards,
Garfield73

PS:
some short words about the other two stones:
1. GPS UBS dongle is not available so far, hope to fix that with UsbGps4Droid - will see.
Maybe my GPS dongle is too rare - Diymall Vk-172 vk 172 Gmouse. But has RasPi3 support, will be shown as /dev/ttyACM0 in Raspian.
2. Found that very nice Cockpit app "RealDash" from Napko. Unfortunately, the app closes directly after start on RasPi3.
Going to contact the creator right after fixing the rotation and GPS topics

Further plans:
right after fixing these "stepstones", the next idea is a separate power supply with an own battery that keeps the RasPi online for some days before shut it down automatically. Only the screen will be powered from the ignition circuit.

Comments

• Give the shell command "settings put system user_rotation [0-3]" a try. This rotates any open apps, but not your homescreen. I don't have a touchscreen, so I don't know if this command affects the touchscreen orientation as well.

• In the next release, there will be a global setting for the display rotation (including the touchscreen). We have introduced it several days ago and need to test everything before publishing. However, it only affects the Android itself (including the homescreen) - everything before that (Linux boot messages and our animation) is shown "as is". We didn't find a way to rotate all of it either :neutral: Maybe we will create several boot animation for different screen orientations - we'll see.

Other issues have to be investigated separately. Does GPS USB dongle show up in /dev/ at all? What is the crash reason for "RealDash"? Feel free to post some log snippets here and we'll take a look at the problem.

• Hi,
    many thanks for taking this topic into your release planning. In my case, I fixed the issue with dismounting the screen completely and mounting and glue the board and the screen parts in another position. Now, I have enough space for the USB connector that is needed for the touchscreen.
    But I am very sure that this will help out for some others who had the same question in the last weeks as well.
    Please let me say thank you for your swift replies in case of any question that comes up in this forum.

My feeling is that I jump around through different topics with some of my questions. I will move my GPS experiences to the other GPS topic that is existing in the forum already.

Best regards,
    Garfield73

• Thanks! I'll close this topic :)
    Enjoy the last days of christmas!

This discussion has been closed.