Raspberry Pi issues - Kano
I'm trying out Emteria (evaluation mode) on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B (rev. a22082) and I'm noticing a few issues that I can't find a simple answer for. My Raspberry Pi was sold as part of the popular Kano Complete Kit, so my Raspberry Pi is mobile running on a battery pack and all my accessories are from Kano as well. I bought a new 32GB MicroSDHC UHC-1 memory card (100 MB/s, Speed Class Rating 10). Regular HDMI LCD display, not a touch screen display and sound not supported through HDMI. Under Kano OS (derived from Raspbian), the Raspberry Pi board and all accessories work correctly.
Anyway, these are the issues I'm seeing under Emteria in evaluation mode:
1) Can't get sound to work. Kano's speaker uses the audio out jack, as well as takes power from a USB port. I can't find settings anywhere in Android to change the audio output location.
2) Are there any special keys to send volume up/down and power? Besides modifying audio volume itself, and the only way to shut down is with the shutdown app (no way to hard reset?), if the /data partition gets corrupted from loss of power so that Emteria won't boot, not sure how to boot into recovery mode without these buttons/keys!
3) The "reset all data" in the backup/reset menu does not work! Clicking it is ignored. I have to use TWRP to wipe data and factory reset instead?
4) It seems that Raspberry Pi 3 has worse performance than mobile phones and tablets? I did not expect this. I am finding that some Android apps which are graphics intensive, such as games like Roblox, just won't work on Raspberry Pi because the CPU/GPU is overheating and the system freezes when running a game. YouTube works too only until the processor gets too hot and starts throttling speed. I added a heat sink on the processor, that helped a little, but it seems like Raspberry Pi really doesn't meet the Android system's minimum requirements and runs sluggishly as the processor heats up from being overloaded? Is this a normal experience?
5) I can't seem to change the Machine Name from 'unnamed' in Raspberry Pi/Emteria settings screen. Is that simply because I am using evaluation license?
6) There have been a few times already where the OS crashed and immediately re-boot. Often this has been in conjunction with extreme slow down due to overheating and trying to force quit the application causing the heat or jump to main menu. I don't think my Raspberry Pi is malfunctioning, but do you have any suggestions for testing memory or access/diagnosis of boot/crash logs?
7) Do battery monitoring apps like BatteryBot work on Raspberry Pi? As far as I can tell, Emteria always reports battery full and charging, would be nice to enable battery percentage feature. Data usage is another feature that could be helpful if connected to a mobile hotspot.
That's all I can think of at the moment, there might still be a minor thing or two, but otherwise Emteria OS works excellent and represents a great development effort!