Raspberry Pi with 3.5Inch Display?

Hi,
I was wondering if is there a way to setup an raspberry pi running EmteriaOS with a 3.5inch touchscreen?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I currently have one on my desk and just started to look at the config.txt that came with it (3.5-inch GPIO https://goo.gl/ePFD3X ). Altho the resolution could be a problem because it's so low? getting it to show emteria should not be that hard, touch on the other hand I don't know. I will keep this post updated.

• If anyone else has this up and running please do share...

• @BasicItStuff said:
    I currently have one on my desk and just started to look at the config.txt that came with it (3.5-inch GPIO https://goo.gl/ePFD3X ). Altho the resolution could be a problem because it's so low? getting it to show emteria should not be that hard, touch on the other hand I don't know. I will keep this post updated.

Glad to hear that! I hope there is a way to get it show emteria on the screen even if the touch doesn't works

• Was wondering the same thing as I have a spare 3.5 inch GPIO Touchscreen LCD

• @kalkov I have tested some stuff that I was thinking that would work with my 3.5 inch GPIO Touchscreen LCD and it's not working for me. I get a white screen at power on and that's it. Do you have any suggestions? This is the screen I have (German Amazon) : https://amzn.to/2RF0azC .

If anyone else has any idea or got it to work please share.
  • Difficult to tell. I'd recommend you setting up a fresh working system with ADB over Ethernet, so you can see the logcat even if the system doesn't boot.

• @kalkov, Is there a reason I can't set the resolution lower than 800x600? I want to set it to the native resolution of 480 x 320.

• To get the aspect ratio correct I would need to go with 900 x 600 or 800 x 533, not sure how usable that is on a 3,5 inch screen.

• It also won't let me use 900 x 600, 800 x 533 or 1440 x 960 :(

• The first thing you should do is getting the logcat output of the early system boot phase. There is a list of all (detected) supported resolutions, which are used for automatic mode setting. After you know the desired resolution is properly detected, you could deactivate the automatic mode adjustment.

• Don't need the log in this situation :smile: I know the best resolution for this screen is 480 x 320, 800 x 533, 900 x 600, 1440 x 960 and everything in the same screen ratio. What I will find out tonight is if Emteria agrees :smile: , will post an update how this goes turning off automatic mode setting. Actually did not see this option, focused on the wrong things :smile:

• 900x600 works, 480x320 broke it and now it won't boot beond some command line stuff I can't read :smile: . I will do a new install and test some more. Touch did not work in any situation. Is there an option to switch between USB touch and gpio touch?

• @kalkov is it as simple as an option to switch between USB touch and gpio touch? Or is this more complex?

• If there is a GPIO driver for the touch (like a kernel module or similar), you could just load it. Not sure if there is another way of doing it.

• @kalkov said:
    If there is a GPIO driver for the touch (like a kernel module or similar), you could just load it. Not sure if there is another way of doing it.

There is some drivers for this diplay and you can try to install it:
    sudo rm -rf LCD-show

git clone https://github.com/goodtft/LCD-show.git

chmod -R 755 LCD-show

cd LCD-show/

sudo ./LCD35-show

• Thanks @AleP_CP , will have to try that. Is this for getting screen output or touch or both?

• If anyone has this up and running please do share...

• Has anyone got this to work. I ordered a 3.5" screen off amazon and need it to work.

• @BasicItStuff . @kalkov
    Will it work now without touch? Want to use it as a normal display :smile:

• Most of HDMI displays work with a proper configuration.

• @kalkov Okay and GPIO? Test it last weekend but i got only a white screen. I taked a look into the config.txt but all things i changed worked on my 7 inch HDMI Display but won't change everything on the 3.5 inch GPIO one :smile:

• I now own a 3.5 inch screen that has an HDMI input and touch over gpio. HDMI work, touch is not working at the moment unfortunately.

• @BasicItStuff said:
    I now own a 3.5 inch screen that has an HDMI input and touch over gpio. HDMI work, touch is not working at the moment unfortunately.

@BasicItStuff Hmmm, won't use HDMI becouse the harness needs to be small it can :wink:

• @AleP_CP said:

@kalkov said:
    If there is a GPIO driver for the touch (like a kernel module or similar), you could just load it. Not sure if there is another way of doing it.

There is some drivers for this diplay and you can try to install it:
    sudo rm -rf LCD-show

git clone https://github.com/goodtft/LCD-show.git

chmod -R 755 LCD-show

cd LCD-show/

sudo ./LCD35-show

Has anyone had any success with these screens? I have an Adafruit PiTFT 3.5" touchscreen which connects via GPIO. When I boot the Pi the screens turns on, but stays fully white. The LCD-show solution is obviously written for Raspbian and doesn't work on Emteria. To circumvent this I tried performing the individual steps in the LCD35-show script on a mounted SD-card. Unfortunately the screen still stays white after booting Emteria.

• Did you try kms or fkms mode? For kms mode, you would probably also need to change /system/build.prop for the correct resolution. Using fkms may be easier to start with.

• @kalkov is it possible to auto detect if there is a gpio screen and automatically setup the correct settings like with most HDMI screens?