HDMI stopped working suddenly.

edited May 2019 in Supported devices

My Raspberry pi was working fine since the day i purchased it, yesterday the whole screen turned gray while i was trying to open some short video saved on the microSD card.

After rebooting it just say "No Signal" no matter what.

Has anyone run into the same problem?

Edit: i have to mention that everything else works normally as i can access Emteria via SSH or VNC.

Comments

• edited May 2019

Yeah I have had that problem, after doing an update because I have to change the config every time just to get it to display on my HDMI TV.

As I said in my other posts it should be in the FAQ that anyone who gets an "unsupported signal" for their display output should change the line in the config from
    dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-256
    To
    dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d,cma-256

Unless yours is the second one, then maybe try change it back to the first.

A couple of other things I had to change:
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16
    hdmi_cvt=1920 1080 60 6 0 0 0

Hope this helps you or anyone else who has this problem.

• It could also be the HDMI cable, maybe try changing it with another one and see what happens.

• edited May 2019

Thanks for replying,
    I'm getting "No Signal" message not "Unsupported Signal".
    It was working since 2 years with the same config.txt file.
    I had tried another HDMI cable on another screen, i even tried another MicroSD card ... still nothing.
    My last attempt was adding hdmi_safe=1 to config.txt, it doesn't respond either.
    Is it a hardware issue? :neutral:

• edited May 2019

No signal, unsupported signal. Same thing. So you didn't try any of those settings?

Seems strange as well that it suddenly just happened. Hope it's not an issue with the Pi itself.

• @Cee123 said:
    It could also be the HDMI cable, maybe try changing it with another one and see what happens.

Also try to hook up the display to a different device to see if it still works,

• edited May 2019

Sounds like she tried that.

I had tried another HDMI cable on another screen

• edited May 2019

@Cee123 said:
    So you didn't try any of those settings?

Well? Did you get it working?

• edited May 2019

Oh well I tried to help. But some people just don't read your replies or even bother to respond back. Hope you managed to fix the issue. I just thought those changes to the config would help, that's all.

• @Cee123 said:
    Oh well I tried to help. But some people just don't read your replies or even bother to respond back. Hope you managed to fix the issue. I just thought those changes to the config would help, that's all.

Well, i'm not one of those people ... i already replied and thanked you for your help.
    After so many tests i figured out that i have a hardware problem.
    So editing config.txt will not do anything because it was working using the same config.txt file since 2 years.
    I even placed a jumper between pin 5 and pin 6 to force safe mode but it still shows "No Signal".

• edited May 2019

@SanderK said:

@Cee123 said:
    It could also be the HDMI cable, maybe try changing it with another one and see what happens.

Also try to hook up the display to a different device to see if it still works,

I did both of the above already.

• i tried another HDMI cable on another display.
    • i tried to hook up my pc to the same display using the same HDMI cable.
      I recieved signal from my pc which means that HDMI cable and screen HDMI port are fine.
  • edited May 2019

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/16863/hdmi-stopped-working-after-installing-official-7-screen

Here is someone else who run into the same problem except i was not trying to hook up any 7" screen, my rpi is genuine as well.
    He ended up by getting a replacement, unfortunately i won't be able to do that because no warranty will cover that period of usage.

Too bad because i was planning to purchace a 7 " HDMI touch screen soon.

I dunno, if this device wasn't built to last for a long time so that problem will occur to any of you sooner or later.

• Oh damn. Sorry to hear that. Hope you don't have to pay too much for another one. I had one Pi3b that didn't last very long and another one that has lasted ages and still works.

Not sure how long the average lifespan of the pi usually is.

• edited May 2019

It's Okay ... fortunately it wasn't completely dead, only the HDMI port stopped working.

The thing is that board has a very tiny components on it otherwise i would examine it to see if there is a blown up capacitor or else like regular pc motherboards.

For now i will purchase a composite out cable to see if it works.

I won't purchase another pi 3b model again as it lags a lot specially after installing OpenGApps, i better wait till pi 4 release hopefully in 2020.