Bluetooth broken in latest OS update

edited May 2019 in Supported devices

I was using Bluetooth with my Raspberry Pi model 3B (Note, B, not the B+) for months now.
Then I updated to the latest OS version - as it prompted me to - and now Bluetooth is gone.
Can't enable it anymore. Tried a USB dongle, but no avail, that too does not work.
I'm completely hosed. The whole reason for using Emteria was that it allowed me to use Bluetooth on the Pi 3B.
Again, this worked flawless until just the latest OS update.
Is there a way to revert the OS back to an older version?
Or can someone please help me debug the problem?

Comments

• Then I updated to the latest OS version - as it prompted me to

Which version? 0.7.0? It is still in beta stage, so notifications only pop up if you explicitly configured the OS this way.

and now Bluetooth is gone. Can't enable it anymore

Just tested it on my RPi with 0.7.0 and it worked. Take a look at the system logs to find out what is happening.

Again, this worked flawless until just the latest OS update.

Bluetooth is on the list or known issues for over a year now (see https://help.emteria.com/kb/devices-rpi-3#known-issues).

Tried a USB dongle, but no avail, that too does not work.

It never worked - Android is bad at providing support for different peripherals of the same time.

Is there a way to revert the OS back to an older version?

I would suggest installing the old version to another sdcard and testing it. If it works, you can try installing the newest version from scratch.

• edited May 2019

Thanks for your very quick reply.
    It started working again, with no changes from my side. It's bizarre.
    It was sitting idle, then I noticed the BT symbol suddenly appeared in the status bar and from then on its working again.

By the way, the OS version is 0.6.4

I see a lot (thousands) of error messages like these:
    2019-05-25 10:52:11.825 5798-5824/com.android.bluetooth E/bt_hci_h4: event_uart_has_bytes Unknown HCI message type 0x11 (min=0x2 max=0x4). Aborting...
    2019-05-25 10:52:11.825 5798-5824/com.android.bluetooth E/bt_hci_h4: event_uart_has_bytes Unknown HCI message type 0x0 (min=0x2 max=0x4). Aborting...
    2019-05-25 10:52:11.825 5798-5824/com.android.bluetooth E/bt_hci_h4: event_uart_has_bytes Unknown HCI message type 0x1 (min=0x2 max=0x4). Aborting...
    2019-05-25 10:52:11.825 5798-5824/com.android.bluetooth E/bt_hci_h4: event_uart_has_bytes Unknown HCI message type 0xbe (min=0x2 max=0x4). Aborting...
    2019-05-25 10:52:11.825 5798-5824/com.android.bluetooth E/bt_hci_h4: event_uart_has_bytes Unknown HCI message type 0xbe (min=0x2 max=0x4). Aborting...

Thanks for the hint with the older version, I guess, there is a lesson here.

Before updating the OS in the future, I'll make a backup of the SD card. For less than $5 I could have saved me a headache and could have just switched back to the old version. Oh well. You live and learn.