Olmatic S.USV Uninterruptable Power Supplier HAT (e.g. car integration)

Hi Kalkov and everyone else,

As mentioned in the topic here: https://forum.emteria.com/discussion/665/help-needed-for-python-smbus-and-i2c-tools#latest

I did some tests with the UPS HAT for the Raspberry 3B (without + because of incompatiblity with POE PIN Out on B+) which worked in a special way but I'm not convinced about my results yet.

What does the Unit: the Unit is designed to work with the pi 3 as an UPS (uninterruptable power supply which means it can handle powercuts and so on).

Integrated RTC and the most important for my project as a voltage transformer it has a seperate 2way in for voltage from 7 to 48 V DC wich makes it perfect to supply juice from a car, or boat or something. The Unit is controlled and configured by a deamon wich is written only for raspbian in python i think. So i did some research an tried a dual use install on emteria with a package called DEBIAN KIT on F-Droid. It worked in a way but not a 100 percent and I'm not sure where the show stoppers are.

First thing that i noticed is, emteria has problems with the integrated rtc ds1307 as mentioned in this topic here: https://forum.emteria.com/discussion/522/enable-i2c-and-install-a-rtc#latest

My first thought about this was, its something headed to the dualuse install on the kernel, that debian and android are grabbing for the same device at the same time, but this problem is also present without debian installed on emteria.

The second thing which is difficult is the behavior of the file save shutdown function from the HAT. Because raspbian and emteria seem to use different commands to shutdown the OS and so nothing happens if you cut the mainpower and the timer runs down to whats configured e.g. file save shutdown after 30 seconds.

I think this unit could be a very good upgrade for the pi especiallly running Emteria but its necessary to get it running properly.

So I'm ready to spend your company one of this units for free (I'm not connected to them in anyway, I'm only a private customer) if you say there will be a chance for integration.

here the links to the product, and manual and driver/software (deamon)

the company and site is written in german but i link the EN sites

https://olmatic.de/en/products/susv/

https://olmatic.de/en/downloads/#1543223443287-9a54167f-6302 (general download page for software and manuals)

https://s-usv.de/files/pdf/SUSV_Manual_Rev2_0_EN.pdf (download link for the manual)

As is saw today it seems the HAT works with tinker board and UP board too.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Kevin.

Comments

• Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the great write up and the time you have invested into the preparations. Could you please provide a list of specific requirements or things that emteria.OS must do (I know you have described it in detail above, but I'd like to have it as precise as possible).

I assume we won't be able to integrate all the functionality into the OS itself, since it is very hardware-specific. But maybe there is a way to make it possible with an additional (open source?) application.

• edited July 2019

Hi Kalkov,

glad to hear this. Before i dig deeper now, i'd ask the company for the source code. Answer is pending.

• Hi everyone,

so as i thought, i didnt get the code.
    They send me a instruction how to order the HAT via register commands (there are some more as described in the manual e.g. to change the loading current and so on)

here is what they send me

1. At the start
      a. Send command 0x44 to UPS (initialization command)
      b. Define GPIO pin13 as input
      c. A successful initialization after these commands is indicated by the fact that the PSUGN stops flashing and stays on

2. Loss of primary voltage source
      a. Define GPIO pin 13 as output
      b. Set GPIO pin 13 HIGH
      c. Send command 0x43 to UPS (signaling that GPIO has beenset)

3. Return of primary power source before shutdown
      a. Send command 0x44 to UPS (signaling that GPIO is set)
      b. Define GPIO pin 13 as input
      c. Send command 0x34 to UPS (signaling, primary power sourceactive)

4. Shutdown of any kind
      a. Define GPIO pin 13 as output if you have not already done so
      b. Set GPIO pin 13 HIGH
      c. Send command 0x43 to UPS (signaling that GPIO has beenset)
      d. Send command 0x49 to UPS (signaling that shutdown isinitiated)
      e. Shutdown of the system

So I'm a little bit out of bounds here (my knowledge isnt that great for this). I think the smoothest way, would be an integration like the raspberry touchscreen into the config gui but as you mentioned your resources are limited as my wallet is xD

I'm not sure if it would be a good solution to write an apk because I think this app needs SU in one or the otherway which isn't that good.

Maybe you or one of your mates has a clue or some idea to get this work, because as I mentioned on the start I think here is a big potential to get Emteria in many mobile solutions.

Greetings Kevin.