black screen

edited January 9 in Screens

Hi there, I'm new here, flashed Emteria to a sd card and put it in my raspberry pi3b first I see some tekst in high speed flying by and than a black screen and nothing happens .. what can i do to fix this ?

Tagged:

Comments

• This is the only screen I see after I switch the pi3b on for about one second, than it turns into black

• Also I tried flashing and formatting the sd card with different computers, mac and windows. I did not try another card yet because I only have one for the time being.

• Do you have a different screen to test with? Is it a bootloop or just black and nothing happens?
  • I do have a another screen to test with, but that only has a Composite video input.
    I see the tekst as on the picture, after the tekst it's just a black screen and nothing happens...

• So, I tested again with another (stable) Emteria os version, another screen (composite video) and another (new) sd card. the result was exactly the same screen with tekst as posted above :/ anyone have some ideas about what can be wrong ?

• Cool, you actually get a post screen on composite video. Maybe the resolution is to low? I don't know if that's possible? My assumption is tha tcomposite video is very very low res.
  • edited December 2018

You didn't have to flash, format, buy a new SD card or try with another computer or screen. (has composite video input only)
    It just doesn't work via composite video.

You must have an HDMI screen.

• Composite will NEVER EVER work correctly on a PI.... why in holy of all are even doing this ?

• edited December 2018

Thanks for the replies. I tried with a composite screen because I have the text and then black screen problem.. so I was never planning to use the composite signal, I just get a bit frustrated that emteria doesn't boot at all :( (plex and kodi work fine with the hdmi screen by the way)

• I'll try to make more clear pictures from the text, maybe that can tell why it's not booting ...

• Are you using any PI hats ?

• no, hats, just the pi3b

• Strange I haven't had any of those issues.

The only thing I can guess at is the monitor/TV doesn't support the HDMI mode.

• I restart this topic, I have a raspberry 3b +
    I installed EMTERIA 0.6.1 from a iiyama monitor (HDMI) I get to the start screen.
    I plug the RPI on the Philips TV (HDMI) more image after loading a few lines of code.

If I activate the VNC server, I see that the system is well launched, but no image on the Philips side.
    Do you have an idea ?

• I think the os can change the resolution if you switch the screen and I read somewhere that it won't play well with high resolutions. Is it possible the iiyama is 720p and the Philips tv is full HD?
  • I just ran into this issue myself......

I had to redo my sdcard and was trying to boot from my original touch screen monitor and the screen would flash on/off. When I used a regular monitor, NOT a TV one, the screen worked.

So my assumption is if you are setting up Emteria the first time use a computer monitor first. After that you can use the monitor of choice as the right modules are loaded and the normal kernel; boots up.

• @BasicItStuff said:
    I think the os can change the resolution if you switch the screen and I read somewhere that it won't play well with high resolutions. Is it possible the iiyama is 720p and the Philips tv is full HD?

iiyama = 1080p
    Philips = 4k

@sgrayban said:
    I just ran into this issue myself......

I had to redo my sdcard and was trying to boot from my original touch screen monitor and the screen would flash on/off. When I used a regular monitor, NOT a TV one, the screen worked.

So my assumption is if you are setting up Emteria the first time use a computer monitor first. After that you can use the monitor of choice as the right modules are loaded and the normal kernel; boots up.

I just tried both methods without success unfortunately.
    I am under freeelec which works perfectly the reverse.

My goal is to make an Android TV without google. The Emteria project seemed perfect, but unfortunately impossible to make it work.

• If it is a resolution problem you can maybe use the config.txt to set a fixed resolution? You probably know but raspberry pi won't do 4k so if the os detects 4k and tryes to actually do 4k a black screen is very probable.
  • You can also check Settings -> Raspberry Pi Settings for own-defined resolutions.