Mount usb flash drive

Hi, the rpi mount the usb storage correctly but the apps don't recognise it. There is a way to play multimedia files from usb without use the file explorer ?

Comments

• edited March 2018

1.i have the same problem, i found out that usb devises where mountet unter /mnt/media-RW, but this path was readprotected, what can we do? also kodi have no change to read from external usb.
    2. second problem, why are only fat32 allowed, not ntfs?

is there someone who can help us????? emteria os works great on rasperry pi 3 and i would like to us this as media center

• To be completely honest, we havn't look into it yet. Let me test it this week and see what we can do.

• For now, emteria seem to comply with the official documentation:

Starting with Android 6.0, any device that is not adopted is considered portable. […] Third-party apps must go through the Storage Access Framework to interact with files on portable storage; direct access is explicitly blocked for privacy and security reasons.

Applications, which require access to portable devices need to use the Storage Access Framework (SAF): https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/providers/document-provider.html

• Just a short summary: the portable device is automatically detected and mounted to /mnt/media_rw (can be viewed with the file manager)

• @kalkov said:
    Just a short summary: the portable device is automatically detected and mounted to /mnt/media_rw (can be viewed with the file manager)

Hello, yes i know this, but i see that this is not possible with all apps!!, only es explorer & total commander (i have tested only these ones). Kodi dont have read access to this. So i tried to install super su to config the apps, but for this there must be installed twrp (recovery mode)

• edited March 2018

Poweramp.png

Poweramp_-.png

You can use Poweramp :smile:

• ok thank you
    but i also want to have pictures, music and films, so kodi where great for me.

• @MadMax0380 what do you mean by

So i tried to install super su to config the apps, but for this there must be installed twrp (recovery mode)

There are both SuperUser and TWRP recovery included in emteria.OS. No need to do anything else manually.

• @roxette, thanks for the great hint

• edited March 2018

@kalkov said:
    @MadMax0380 what do you mean by

So i tried to install super su to config the apps, but for this there must be installed twrp (recovery mode)

There are both SuperUser and TWRP recovery included in emteria.OS. No need to do anything else manually.

ok sorry, my mistake.
    So the comment from roxette is good, but it is interest that the kodi have no access to the media_rw path!?!

• You're welcome Igor,
    @MadMax0380, I have LibreELEC installed on another SD card and i don't have a problem mounting USB flash drive.

Perhaps Android handles it differently.
    If you want to use Kodi then copy your videos to some directory on Emteria OS SD card.

Or search for some video player which can access your USB flash drive the same way Poweramp does.

• @roxette said:
    You're welcome Igor,
    @MadMax0380, I have LibreELEC installed on another SD card and i don't have a problem mounting USB flash drive.

Perhaps Android handles it differently.
    If you want to use Kodi then copy your videos to some directory on Emteria OS SD card.

Or search for some video player which can access your USB flash drive the same way Poweramp does.

thank you roxette, i also tested libreelec today and it work! but i want understand why this is not possible at emeria os!
    so i testet kodi 16.1 (i also used under android 4.4 at a banana pi M2 board), and with RPi3 emteria os it DOESNT WORK. so i am still not sure why this happen.

• poweramp_e.png

The above screenshot describes why Poweramp works while Kodi doesn't.
    Obviously Kodi isn't capable of accessing external storage.

• edited March 2018

Hi @roxette

how did you do to see the USB device on poweramp?
    I'm using it and I don't see my USB flash drive. I put the same 2 images you add in this topic, to show you that no USB drive is seen

• edited March 2018

Hi Andy,
    I'm not able to see the images you uploaded, you might need to change permission to be viewed by public.

Regarding Poweramp, Go to Settings - Folders and Library - Music Folders
    Scroll down until you find your USB flash drive then click on Enable - Grant Access

Now Select your USB flash drive - Select Folders

Finally, click on Rescan.

• Thanks for your answer @roxette

I hope you can see the photos now.
    This is exactly what I did: Poweramp - Settings - Folders and Library - Music Folders but there is no USB drive.

I can see it with ES file explorer. I can play music if I launch the file from Es file explorer but I have to launch them one by one.
    Poweramp don't see it at all.

What is your flash drive: FAT32 or NTFS?

• Yes, your images are visible now.
    My flash drive is FAT32.
    Which Poweramp version do you use?

• It's working now.
    I found the solution here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/rooting-roms/enable-apps-to-read-otg-usb-contents-t3539389/

Just have to put this commands in the terminal:
    su
    sm set-force-adoptable true

And now it's working.
    FAT32 USB flash drive.

Thanks a lot @roxette

• edited March 2018

You're welcome @Andybv

Bdw : that solution will also solve MadMax0380's problem.
    @MadMax0380, Try the above solution posted by @Andybv then Kodi will work :smiley:

• @roxette said:
    You're welcome @Andybv

Bdw : that solution will also solve MadMax0380's problem.
    @MadMax0380, Try the above solution posted by @Andybv then Kodi will work :smiley:

ok i will test this, thank you! i hope there will be e reason for ntfs in the future

• @MadMax0380 in the xda forum the guy was saying is working also with ntfs

• Does this work on the unactivated version of Emteria.OS (v5.10)? I used the commands but still cannot see my USB thumb drive in ES Explorer, Filemanager as well.

• edited April 2018

What application can you play on USB files? Movies, videos, music, pictures?

• @obero
    for movies and videos I use MX Player
    for music I use Poweramp, but MX Player can play music as well.

@dan0412
    for me it works on the unactivated version of Emteria. I have few more things to test before buying the licence.
    ES Explorer saw my USB drive from the begining. Only the music player didn't. After the command I mentionned earlier, the music player can see my USB drive as well.

My USB drive was formated in FAT32 and I gave ES Explorer root rights.

• MXPlayer is very good, just ask for help on how to save the settings? After each track is played, it returns to the original setting

• @Andybv said:
    @obero
    for movies and videos I use MX Player
    for music I use Poweramp, but MX Player can play music as well.

@dan0412
    for me it works on the unactivated version of Emteria. I have few more things to test before buying the licence.
    ES Explorer saw my USB drive from the begining. Only the music player didn't. After the command I mentionned earlier, the music player can see my USB drive as well.

My USB drive was formated in FAT32 and I gave ES Explorer root rights.

What I did initially was:
    1. Downloaded Terminal app, ran the commands and then closed the application.
    2. Plugged in the USB Thumbdrive (formatted in FAT31).

I also tested a Maxtor OneTouch III Mini Edition HDD, partitioned into 2 drives. Only 1 was visible. I will test once again and report back.