Does the Email application work?

Hi,
Whenever i open the Email application it just crashes right away with the following message:
"Email has stopped
Open app again"
Can someone verify if it works or not?
Thanks.

Comments

• does the screen message look like that ?

• edited November 2018

In my case i get "Email has stopped
    Open app again"
    Launcher3 doesn't stop.
    You get that message after you open the Email application?

• i get that after i open Fritzcam app. and reopen dont work at all for me, the system is hanging at that point and i have to make a reboot

• edited November 2018

Video recording is not supported yet, perhaps that's why your system hangs.
    What about the Email application?
    Can you open it now and let me know if it works or not
    ?

• edited November 2018

LOL, very nice discussions forum, noone wanna spare one second to click an icon since a week!!
    I figured it out anyway, the Exchange Services is missing.
    @kalkov , do you have any idea why it was removed?

• @roxette, which OS version and which email application? I have no issues starting the standard email app included in emteria.OS.

• The email application works for me as well (connecting to Gmail IMAP) on v0.6.0
  • edited December 2018

Thanks guys for your feedback,
    I'm referring to the standard email application.
    It was crashing because i was using some low resolution with the following error
    12-02 23:25:39.875 468 482 W ActivityManager: Activity destroy timeout for A
    ctivityRecord{5f074bb u0 com.android.email/.activity.Welcome t1676 f}
    12-02 23:25:39.908 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    ith position out of bounds
    12-02 23:25:39.958 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    12-02 23:25:40.042 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    12-02 23:25:40.076 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    12-02 23:25:40.127 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    12-02 23:25:40.177 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    12-02 23:25:40.244 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    12-02 23:25:40.261 468 483 D ViewRootImpl[email]: updatePointerIcon called w
    12-02 23:25:40.719 468 482 W ActivityManager: Activity destroy timeout for A
    ctivityRecord{ea5e152 u0 com.android.email/.activity.setup.AccountSetupFinal t16
    76 f}

Now it's fixed however how can the push email notifications work without Exchange Services?

• To be honest, I don't know. In the log, some exchange packages seem to be included.

• I tried some other distro, the Exchange Services must be running in the background.
    Does the Automatic (Push) option exist in your Account options as in the above screenshot?

• Interesting. Exchange isn't part of the official AOSP since Android 6 (https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/Exchange/), as they made it a part of proprietary GApps.

I can try adding a third-party project to see if there are conflicts with the existing configuration. If there are none, I don't see any reasons for not including it by default.

• @roxette, thanks for pointing it out!

• So here is the thing: if we want to include Exchange from other distributions, it brings several dependencies we would also have to include and replace default AOSP packages. This isn't a big thing, but it may generate additional additional workload in future if

a) Those projects or dependencies change and become incompatible with current AOSP.
    b) AOSP changes and becomes incompatible with those projects (e.g. major version upgrade).

I don't think we can expect Google to return the Exchange project into AOSP, so here is a question for our community: would you like us to do so and introduce additional dependencies (which might slow down the developments in future) or is it maybe a better idea to make the Exchange package installable (something like https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/exchange-services/ or a self-contained app like https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.fsck.k9/) on the top of emteria.OS?

• edited December 2018

Thanks @kalkov for looking into this matter, i would vote for option (2) make Exchange Services package installable.
    However, would you check the 2nd screenshot again?
    In Emteria's email app there is no Automatic (Push) or sync contacts, calendar from this account.
    Would those options appear after installing the Exchange Services package?
    Or the Email app in screenshot is a newer version?