Enable i2c and install a RTC

edited March 2019 in General

How can we enable i2c and add a RTC module ?

Tagged:

Comments

• I edited config.txt and saw i2c was enabled but it seems I can't instert the rtc_ds1307 module and it seems that /etc/modules isn't parsed like it should. And there is no modprobe either so how do we load kernel modules ?

• @kalkov can you guys add the hwmon kernel module to your next build ? It's needed RTC-ds1307

• insmod /boot/modules/rtc-ds1307.ko

• edited June 2019
    I am trying to activate the RTC on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+. (DS1307 connected on the I2C port)
    I am getting an error when I check the new_device.
    The error is "/system/bin/sh : cat: new_device: I/O error"

What is the correct procedure to make the RTC work ?
  • edited June 2019
    The /boot/config.txt contains the following entries related to I2C -

dtparam=i2c1=on
    dtparam=i2c_arm=on
    dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds1307

When i run the i2cdetect -y 1 command, I am able to see the memory location 68. But it is not turning to UU after running the echo command.
  • I've a similar problem with ds1307. If i do the insmod command the lines in the i2c tools turn UU but after that i type hwclock -r e.g. it says /dev/misc/rtc: no such file or directory. Any ideas? the config.txt is also edited. I tried the rtc-ds1307 < 0x68 /sys/class... command too.

• My ds1307 works fine using just this line:
    dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds1307

I did update all files in boot partition with files from latest raspbian; all except for uboot, kernel, of course.

• Is there a way to add these commands at boot?
    Its working after doing insmod and making a symlink to rtc0, but it resets after boot.

• You can put them in a sript and put that in /data/init.d/ so it gets executed at boot. Check the scripts already in there for the correct header and file permissions.

• @SanderK said:
    You can put them in a sript and put that in /data/init.d/ so it gets executed at boot. Check the scripts already in there for the correct header and file permissions.

Tried it. Didn't work.
    If i run it manually it work, but not automatically on boot.

• edited February 25

Did you put the following header in the script and did you set the file permissions to 700?

hash!/system/bin/sh

hashhashhash BEGIN INIT INFO
    hash Exec: boot
    hash Type: permanent
    hashhashhash END INIT INFO

(replace hash with a hash-symbol, I can't get it to show in markdown)

• @SanderK said:
    Did you put the following header in the script and did you set the file permissions to 700?

hash!/system/bin/sh

hashhashhash BEGIN INIT INFO
    hash Exec: boot
    hash Type: permanent
    hashhashhash END INIT INFO

(replace hash with a hash-symbol, I can't get it to show in markdown)

Thanks, That worked!
    You're a life saver :)

• When I set the clock system in Raspberry Pi through the operating system it does not update the RTC ds3231 os ver1.0
    i use bath file on init_d to update the clock system on boot .

• To set up the RTC module, we need to enable the I2C on our Raspberry Pi. In the configuration tool, select Interfacing Option. Then enable I2C by selecting P5 I2C. With the I2C interface enabled, we can verify if our connection to the RTC module works.

• my rtc work i can read the time with order hwclock -r or write new time to rtc my in linux level .
    my problem is when i set the clock time from the android user level not from the linux level.
    for example if i set the flag time sync from network it not change the clock time on the rtc device and when i turn off the RSP and turn on i lost the time clock .

• When raspberry pi3 goes up it reads the time from the RTC
    But when I set the system clock it does not update the RTC