RPi4B - Official 7" Touchscreen - touch input doesn't work on 11.6 or 11.6.1 nightly

Hi All,

I am having difficulty using a brand new Raspberry Pi 4 B with the official 7" touchscreen. I have it hooked up using the DSI connector + 5V/GND on the GPIO. It displays great, and keyboard and mouse input work fine, but as soon as I try to touch anything on the screen the input locks up.

I've tried this with both 11.6.0 Live and 11.6.1 Nightly (the latest nightly).

I am happy to take a short video and link to it as well if that would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!
-Erik

Tagged:

Comments

• I face the same issue, Official display touch is not working,
    I tried below in the config.txt

Support official RPi display.

dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds3231
    dtoverlay=rpi-ft5406
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1

after doing this, my entire screen got mirrored, dont know why and it is not stable

• Hi @erikreynolds ,
    Had you tried that setup with an earlier version and it worked?
    Have you changed anything in the config.txt?
    Can you link where you bought the touchscreen, power supply, DSI connector?

@ak_95
    For the official touchscreen no changed in the config.txt are necessary.
    Can you also answer the other questions above?

• edited March 2022

This is the first versions I've tried.

Raspberry Pi 4 B 2GB kit bought direct from CanaKit using their included 3.5A USB-C power supply. Power to the touchscreen was using the included jumpers from the touchscreen onto the 5V and GND pins on the RPi4 GPIO connector. I also tried using a USB-C to USB-C cable to an Anker USB-C brick that I use to charge my MacBook Air with the same results. I used the DSI ribbon that came with the touchscreen. https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-extreme-kit.html

I bought the Touchscreen on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-7-Touchscreen-Display/dp/B0153R2A9I/ref=sr_1_3?crid=353ZP0ERX41QK&keywords=raspberry+pi+touchscreen&qid=1647542183&sprefix=raspberry+pi+touchscreen,aps,170&sr=8-3

I will note that I ordered an HDMI/USB touchscreen to try, but I can keep the official touchscreen for a bit before returning if it helps others to debug. Thanks!

• @erikreynolds Thanks for the details and the willingness to test things! Can you connect a mouse/keyboard, boot the device up, go to emteria settings, scroll to the bottom and send a bugreport? You have to add a short description - it's enough to mention this forum post and touchscreen issues. There will be a notification when the bugreport is out.
    It's important that you do that right after a reboot and not on a already running device.
    Afterwards, do a touch event or two and send another one.

• @smieschek Just submitted both bugreports -- it was tricky to get the second one to go. Let me know if that helps!

• I also experienced the same results (touch bugginess) whether I powered the Pi Official Touchscreen via the 5V and GND pins on the RPi4 GPIO OR if I powered it with a separate 5V via the Microusb on the touchscreen. So it doesn't seem like it's a power consumption thing.

• We have found that there are differences in the touchscreen controller code, which might cause this behaviour. We are working on a solution, but with eastern coming up it will take another week.