easy step to install Gapps

maybe it can help to install Gapps (play store) on Emteria.OS

you need :
- usb stick format fat32

first :

download gapps here : http://opengapps.org/
i used ARM 7.1 Pico. its the smalest version of gapps, it only install play store.
Put the .zip file you just download on your usb stick.

second :
start the Pi3 with Emteria.OS, when it's start plug your usb.
open the usb via the upper side of you screen.
press a long time on the gapps.zip file and copy past to Download folder.
eject your usb.

third :
Use the Shutdown preinstalled app and go to RECOVERY.
in the recovery menu , use "install" an go to the download folder. select your gapps.zip file.
and clic on install from zip.
select reboot after install.
wait and

enjoy play store ;)

Comments

• Thank you, @jonas7782! To simplify it even further, you can download the opengapps directly from the browser in the emteria.OS :smile:

• Hey , im having some trouble with gapps, i installed the one from open gapps 7.1 micro and flashed it. After the restart emteria is now running very slow with alot of hangs.

• I wouldn't recommend installing anything but the pico package, as most of the apps have crazy memory requirements, which can be hardly satisfied by RPi3. In any case, after the installation the system will do some optimizations in the background. Sometimes it takes up to 30 or 60 minutes until everything is set (pico package).

• Hi,

I installed Emteria.os on my RPi3 successfully. As I wanted to install GApps, I followed the instructions above but, when I rebooted after installing from recovery menu, the RPi didn't make it past the Emteria loading screen. It's been stuck there for 20minutes or so now with just the animation running and activity light (small green LED) on the Pi flashing irregularly.

Is this expected or should it boot normally? If it's expected, how long might I have to wait? If not, any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong?

Thanks

• Wait for 0.5.1. its appearance, Igor is working on it within a day or two.I was doing this, I got bored at 2.5 o'clock and I'm looking forward to the appearance of the revised OS. Patience.

• hi Ibebbs and Obero, just have same probleem after update emteria.os to last update from 8 december.

• edited December 2017

It does not work, Igor will update it

• Please try again, we have just released a new version.

• https://youtu.be/Pm6latPoM_w
    Confirm work at version 0.5.1

• When I try to enter Recovery mode, my Pi get stuck on the starting kernel line as you see before the emteria logo, is this a known problem? I have no problem starting my pi...
    Any tips?

• No, I've never heard of this problem before. Which version are you using?

• I have the same problem with mine, using Android version 7.1.2,

• edited January 2018

@Igor,
    How to use gapps-config.txt?
    It should be renamed to gapps-config?
    I didn't install gapps yet since i upgraded to Emteria v0.5.5
    Is it possible to exclude everything except Google Play services?

• @roxette, this is exactly what the file does. It prevents people from installing tons of huge applications. There is nothing to do for you - in our tests the OpenGApps installer detects this file automatically and applies the configuration. Here is the documentation: https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Advanced-Features-and-Options

• @Smitty, we have no clue why this is happening. As I have mentioned in another thread, emteria.OS and recovery are using the same kernel to boot. Any chance you can provide us your logs (https://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection)?

• I can confirm that I followed the OpenGApps installation instructions that Jonas gave and it worked. I did try downloading GApps through emteriaOS as Kalkov suggested but the download failed multiple times. Just as Kalkov mentions, there is a period after starting the play store for the first time that everything is VERY slow but after a period of about 5 min. after the first reboot.

However, after installing only a few PlayStore apps, I have already noticed a considerable decrease in performance and regular lock-ups and shut downs.

• I installed fine today using the gapps.sh from github and pico however playstore always crashes. Having said that it crashes on nearly every android image I tried. keeps going in circles saying it has stopped working.

• @piuser2155, why not using the official method and install it via recovery?

• @jonas7782 said:
    maybe it can help to install Gapps (play store) on Emteria.OS

you need :
    - usb stick format fat32

first :

download gapps here : http://opengapps.org/
    i used ARM 7.1 Pico. its the smalest version of gapps, it only install play store.
    Put the .zip file you just download on your usb stick.

second :
    start the Pi3 with Emteria.OS, when it's start plug your usb.
    open the usb via the upper side of you screen.
    press a long time on the gapps.zip file and copy past to Download folder.
    eject your usb.

third :
    Use the Shutdown preinstalled app and go to RECOVERY.
    in the recovery menu , use "install" an go to the download folder. select your gapps.zip file.
    and clic on install from zip.
    select reboot after install.
    wait and

enjoy play store ;)

Thanks for sharing us its really helpful. :-)

• Hi to all,
    as for today the Recovery menu of the latest Emteria for RPI4 doesn't have the "Install" option anymore.
    Please, can someone give me some advice on what to do to install GApps?
    Thanks a lot!

• edited February 2022

@alezz said:
    Hi to all,
    as for today the Recovery menu of the latest Emteria for RPI4 doesn't have the "Install" option anymore.
    Please, can someone give me some advice on what to do to install GApps?
    Thanks a lot!

(Below comments are regarding a Raspberry Pi 4b, with a physical keyboard + mouse)

Same..

I have successfully used ADB over "Ethernet" (although, it's really WiFi), but I am unable to sideload any zip files. I can do a normal adb install of an .apk, but to sideload you need to be in the recovery menu, when you enter that menu, you can no longer connect/talk to the Pi through ADB (I have tried Wifi, Direct USB connection and Ethernet cable)

Note: I am using Platform Tools R32.0.0 and Emteria v11.30, issuing ADB commands over an elevated privilege terminal in W11.

I really don't understand why it is this difficult to install GApps. I know Emteria support won't tell us a thing, because of the legal issues of supporting the GApps module.

In other words, we need someone outside of Emteria to lay this out. Is there a custom recovery available for Emteria that will get around these limitations? Or what version of Emteria should I install so I can actually do something with GApps?

If I can't install GApps, I can't do anything that I need to with this OS.

EDIT:

Emteria support revealed to me that TWRP is still present on the OS, it's just not set as the default recovery module to load.

It's not totally clear what they mean, but this is what support told me

"You would have to switch the names of these two files (ramdisk-recovery.uimg / ramdisk-recovery.uimg.twrp), and boot into recovery mode. TWRP should then be activated."

I'm not sure if they mean there are two files and you swap the names, or if they just mean to rename ramdisk-recovery.uimg to ramdisk-recovery.uimg.twrp

I'll try it soon and report back.