Raspberry Pi 4 – Official 7” Touch Screen

I tried nightly 11.0.9 and beta version 11.0.0. With both versions the touch screen was initialized (Rainbow square and backlight) but not used.

If a HDMI display is connected, the device starts on it without using the touchscreen.

Did anybody managed to get the official 7” touch screen to work?

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi @Michael_ZPF, currently we only support HDMI displays. The DSI connector isn't integrated, yet.

• Thanks @smieschek for the fast response,
    Is there a place where all already integrated functions and features are listed for the RBP4?

Do you have a timeframe for the support of the DSI connector (tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, …)?

Thanks,
    Michael

• Hi @Michael_ZPF ,
    There are two sources for these information. On the one hand we have our release notes where the integrated functions are listed. On the other hand we have our knowledge base where we collect known issues and frequently asked features which are not integrated, yet.

DSI connector is pretty high on our priority list, but it's rather next month than next week.
    I don't know if I get you right, but just to make it clear. You will get an image either via DSI or HDMI. I don't think it will be possible to have both activate at the same time.

• Hi @smieschek ,

I am eagerly waiting when Rasberry pi official display will also be supported for Pi4 . Wish would be if we can support both at same time .If not possible can the design be intelligent enough to check if Hdmi is available and switch to HDMI otherwise check if DSI is available and pick DSI .

Thanks and appreciate your hard work.

With regards,
    Saurabh

• edited May 6

I am also interested in the progress of the Pi4+touchscreen feature. I used the latest Beta for the Pi 4 with effectively the same results as the original post. The OS looks really promising so far...eager to put it to use.

• Hi,

any news on this? Does the display already work with the actual release 11.2.0?

• Hi @Michael_ZPF , @Pandey , @crmann and @bgers
    It was great effort, but I have good news. We have an implementation of the DSI connector on Android 11 for RPi4. Starting with nightly v11.2.20 the official 7" touchscreen, and possibly others, should work. Please give it a try, I'm very much looking forward to your feedback.

• Hi @smieschek,

already installed it. Looks good at the moment.
    Thank you!

• For the first test I only connected the 7” touch screen, but execution stopped (or at least there was no further feedback) after “Starting kernel ...”

Same result after reset. Test made on RB4 2GB.

• @Michael_ZPF said:
    For the first test I only connected the 7” touch screen, but execution stopped (or at least there was no further feedback) after “Starting kernel ...”

Same result after reset. Test made on RB4 2GB.

V 11.2.21 resolves the problem.
    The RB boots to the 7" touch screen and passes the Android config steps ...