System optimization

edited November 2020 in Supported devices

Hello everyone! After you install the latest version 5.2.2, the system continuously displays this message: System optimization in progress. Version 5.1.1 was not like this. What's wrong?

Tagged:

Comments

• edited April 2018

Hi.
    Same issue for me.
    V.0.5.12 installed yesterday

After each restart I have "service optimization in progress, please wait..."
    It takes around 15 minutes to finish. Then everything works fine...untill the next reboot and another 15 minutes wait. And so on...

I didn't have this issue with the previous version. Re-installed 3 times..always the same issue.

• Yes, I have the same issue.

While issue is solved you can go back to android interface by pressing home button

• edited April 2018

Stopped downloading apps from the Play market. How can I roll back to previous version? Waiting for a friend kalkov.

• Sorry, this is a new feature and isn't quite stable yet. The idea is to tell the user that Android is optimizing system apps in the background (e.g. after the installation of OpenGApps) and the whole system might be slow and not responsive.

Those optimizations are detected automatically during the boot. If you don't like this window, you can click on the bottom and the standard Android navigation will appear - you can simply click on the home button and this window will close.

If it appears again after the reboot, it means there apps are still being optimized.

@Artur951, there is no official support for Google Play Services, but we also didn't introduce anything new to prevent the installation. You can flash the older version with our installer application (use the button "Skip login and use a local image" instead of logging in).

• Where can I take the image of the previous version? I'll try experimenting. Comrade kalkov, do you speak Russian?

• @Artur951, yes, I do. But it would be great to keep it understandable for non-russians :)

You can flash the older version with our installer application (use the button "Skip login and use a local image" instead of logging in

• edited April 2018

I mean, if I write private messages. I understand. Personally, I like your operating system.

• Hi.
    where can I find an older image to use it as a local install?

• I managed to install v0.5.10
    I don't have the "service optimization in progress" message on this version.

But I can not go in the recovery to install gapps. Every time when I try to boot in recovery it blocks on "starting kernel..."
    I tried many times...impossible to get to recovery.

Any ideas?

• @Artur951 said:
    I mean, if I write private messages. I understand. Personally, I like your operating system.

Yes, sure.

@Andybv said:
    I managed to install v0.5.10
    But I can not go in the recovery to install gapps. Every time when I try to boot in recovery it blocks on "starting kernel..."
    I tried many times...impossible to get to recovery.

Any ideas?

Did you use 0.5.10 before and it was working?

• Yes. I had 0.5.10 before and worked fine.
    Yesterday I installed 0.5.12 and had that issue with service optimization.

I got back to 0.5.10 today and the recovery is not working. I don't understand why. It's a fresh installation.

• edited May 2018

I have same issue in v0.5.13 as well. it continuously popup the message "System optimization ..." after I installed the Google Play Services. It wasn't happening in previous version.

• This screen doesn't do anything itself - it only detects system activities. If it pops up after each reboot, there is something going on in the background. Its only purpose is to inform the user about system activities.

As mentioned above, you can simply close it by clicking on the bottom of the screen.

• @kalkov said:
    This screen doesn't do anything itself - it only detects system activities. If it pops up after each reboot, there is something going on in the background. Its only purpose is to inform the user about system activities.

As mentioned above, you can simply close it by clicking on the bottom of the screen.

The dialog-box popped causes so much troubles if it is as a unattended operation system. Is it possible to use a toast-show instead of the pop up box?

• @SuperS said:
    The dialog-box popped causes so much troubles if it is as a unattended operation system.

Can you please describe what kind of troubles it causes? It starts and terminates automatically only if there is corresponding system activity. So if you setup your system and wait for the installation to finish, I don't see how it would affect unattended operation.

• @kalkov said:

@SuperS said:
    The dialog-box popped causes so much troubles if it is as a unattended operation system.

Can you please describe what kind of troubles it causes? It starts and terminates automatically only if there is corresponding system activity. So if you setup your system and wait for the installation to finish, I don't see how it would affect unattended operation.

@kalkov said:

@SuperS said:

Thanks for you response. My system will be used in the vans, without any mouse, keyboard, or touch screen. My app catches the "android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED" broadcast and startup automatically. However after my app starts, the "System optimization ..." box popes up and covers my app. So it will be a really bad experience of my customers.

• edited May 2018

We can introduce an option for turning this feature off. However, I hope you understand that you are fighting the symptoms, but not the cause. A better idea would be to find out what your system is installing during each single boot and fixing it.

• @kalkov said:
    We can introduce an option for turning this feature off. However, I hope you understand that you are fighting the symptoms, but not the cause. A better idea would be to find out what your system is installing during each single boot and fixing it.

Thanks for your reply. The system is working fine until I install the open GApps. The Android system became extreme slow. It even do not have any response to the mouse moving, so I have to use "wave" feature in the recovery mode. After I "wave" the system and doing some init settings, I find the Google Services and Google Store still there and the Android system seems back to normal, except the "System optimization ..." issue.

The hardware I used is Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. The Emteria OS version is v0.5.16. I just install the open GApps (open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180506.zip), nothing else. Could you please give me some advises in my case?

• @SuperS said:

@kalkov said:

Thanks for your reply. The system is working fine until I install the open GApps. The Android system became extreme slow. It even do not have any response to the mouse moving, so I have to use "wave" feature in the recovery mode. After I "wave" the system and doing some init settings, I find the Google Services and Google Store still there and the Android system seems back to normal, except the "System optimization ..." issue.

The hardware I used is Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. The Emteria OS version is v0.5.16. I just install the open GApps (open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180506.zip), nothing else. Could you please give me some advises in my case?

@SuperS said:

@kalkov said:

Same problem... After reboot display "System optimization" message and the system is very slow...
    Thinking it was my MicroSD that wasn't fast enough I bought a U3, but the problem is the same.

• edited May 2018

The system is slow because OpenGApps allocate insane amount of memory and create crazy CPU load (not sure what for though). I don't know how this can be mitigated except for not using OpenGApps in the first place.

The Android system became extreme slow. It even do not have any response to the mouse moving, so I have to use "wave" feature in the recovery mode. After I "wave" the system and doing some init settings

@SuperS, what "wave" feature do you mean? Can you please provide us more details on what exactly you do in the recovery and what init settings you mean?

• @kalkov said:
    The system is slow because OpenGApps allocate insane amount of memory and create crazy CPU load (not sure what for though). I don't know how this can be mitigated except for not using OpenGApps in the first place.

The Android system became extreme slow. It even do not have any response to the mouse moving, so I have to use "wave" feature in the recovery mode. After I "wave" the system and doing some init settings

@SuperS, what "wave" feature do you mean? Can you please provide us more details on what exactly you do in the recovery and what init settings you mean?

Sorry. Wrong word. It is "Wipe" in the recovery mode. If I do not do the "Wipe", your system will be very very slow after I install the OpenGApps.

• @SuperS said:

@kalkov said:

Sorry. Wrong word. It is "Wipe" in the recovery mode. If I do not do the "Wipe", your system will be very very slow after I install the OpenGApps.

So installing opengapps and then making the device wipe the problem of excessive slowness is solved?

I will test that for myself.

• edited May 2018

@SuperS said:

@kalkov said:

I tried to wipe the dalvik partitions, cache and data but I only worsened the situation.
    The system is put back more than 45 minutes loading into the screen emteria, at the end I surrendered and I turned off reflashing the whole.
    It is not feasible to wait all that time, maybe it would also have started but it has no logic.
    After several searches I found this link to XDA maybe it can help some of us and open up new avenues:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/help/android-starting-optimising-apps-t3615203

In particular, the post dated June 6, 2017 at 10:42

This user reports our same problems but on a nexus... He solved them by loading a different version of the gapps and installing those.
    We often talk about these Beansgapps, which is a viable way?
    I also await your feedback on possible new solutions to this problem for many.

I attach links from where you can download them:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/gapps-dynamic-gapps-t3487192

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Hello,

I am using OpenGApps. It worked fine with version 0.5.11. The problems were there when I updated to 0.5.16, I think 0.5.14 worked, too.

Best regards

gsfx

• @SurprysE said:

@SuperS said:

@kalkov said:

I tried to wipe the dalvik partitions, cache and data but I only worsened the situation.
    The system is put back more than 45 minutes loading into the screen emteria, at the end I surrendered and I turned off reflashing the whole.
    It is not feasible to wait all that time, maybe it would also have started but it has no logic.
    After several searches I found this link to XDA maybe it can help some of us and open up new avenues:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/help/android-starting-optimising-apps-t3615203

In particular, the post dated June 6, 2017 at 10:42

This user reports our same problems but on a nexus... He solved them by loading a different version of the gapps and installing those.
    We often talk about these Beansgapps, which is a viable way?
    I also await your feedback on possible new solutions to this problem for many.

I attach links from where you can download them:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/gapps-dynamic-gapps-t3487192

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Thanks for your information. I've tested the BeansGApps has exactly same issue as OpenGApps.

There are few "wipe" features, the "wipe" I am talking about is in the main menu of recovery mode. After I wipe the system and re-set the system, the response of Andriod becomes normal. However, the "System optimization ..." box keeps pop up.

• @gsfx said:
    Hello,

I am using OpenGApps. It worked fine with version 0.5.11. The problems were there when I updated to 0.5.16, I think 0.5.14 worked, too.

Best regards

gsfx

Yes. Exactlly. It works fine with version 0.5.11 and 0.5.12. The issue occurred since the version 0.5.14 and above.

• As I said, the waiting screen was introduced in 0.5.13 or 0.5.14. And it doesn't do anything - it just notifies you about the system activity. Starting with 0.5.17 there will be a settings option to turn the screen off.

• @kalkov said:
    As I said, the waiting screen was introduced in 0.5.13 or 0.5.14. And it doesn't do anything - it just notifies you about the system activity. Starting with 0.5.17 there will be a settings option to turn the screen off.

Thanks. I am looking forward to the version 0.5.17.

• same problem. running a RPI 3B+. i need playstore. is there any hope for it?

• is there a way to download an older version of emteria say 0.5.11 which was working?

• @SuperS said:

@gsfx said:
    Hello,

Best regards

gsfx

Yes. Exactlly. It works fine with version 0.5.11 and 0.5.12. The issue occurred since the version 0.5.14 and above.

Where can I find version 5.12?

• @SurprysE said:

@SuperS said:

@gsfx said:
    Hello,

Best regards

gsfx

Open the app "emteria.OS installer" of your computer, find a grey button called "Skip login and use local image", which is under the "AUTHORIZE" button, click it and will open a folder box shows all the version you have downloaded. Choose the folder "rpi3-v0.5.12" if you've downloaded and installed before.

• @SuperS said:

@SurprysE said:

@SuperS said:

@gsfx said:
    Hello,

Best regards

gsfx

Open the app "emteria.OS installer" of your computer, find a grey button called "Skip login and use local image", which is under the "AUTHORIZE" button, click it and will open a folder box shows all the version you have downloaded. Choose the folder "rpi3-v0.5.12" if you've downloaded and installed before.

Unfortunately, I have never downloaded version 5.12. Therefore, it does not appear on the list.

• edited May 2018

Dear everyone asking for an older version:

The "System optimization" screen is NOT a bug. The system is deliberately designed to show this message. Once again: it is not this screen which freezes the system, this behavior is caused by OpenGApps. Our notification screen just warns you about it, it doesn't actually do anything. So if you don't like OpenGApps to kill the performance, don't install them and you won't see the screen. Or you can wait until the CPU and IO load settle down and your system will be usable again.

Installing an older version of emteria.OS won't fix this behavior - the system will still need time to finish all the OpenGApps initialization and will be extremely slow until it's done.

• @kalkov said:
    Dear everyone asking for an older version:

The "System optimization" screen is NOT a bug. The system is deliberately designed to show this message. Once again: it is not this screen which freezes the system, this behavior is caused by OpenGApps. Our notification screen just warns you about it, it doesn't actually do anything. So if you don't like OpenGApps to kill the performance, don't install them and you won't see the screen. Or you can wait until the CPU and IO load settle down and your system will be usable again.

Installing an older version of emteria.OS won't fix this behavior - the system will still need time to finish all the OpenGApps initialization and will be extremely slow until it's done.

OK...
    I will use Aptoide then. The only thing I regret is that I have many licensed programs that I would like to test on this system.
    I will wait for a new release.

• So, perhaps the most of us are interested in the answer of the question how to integrate the GApps into your ROM without getting high CPU and I/O load.

If the load is caused by the GApps itself, isn't the question valid why it works on other custom ROMs for various android phones? Can the custom ROM make some configuration changes to allow a better integration?

It would be great if it is possible to integrate the Google Play Services and the Google Play Store as a user of your ROM to allow installation of already paid applications (so the license checks succeed) and of applications that rely on the Play Services.

• @maggu2810 said:
    So, perhaps the most of us are interested in the answer of the question how to integrate the GApps into your ROM without getting high CPU and I/O load.

I can't come up with a way for this. If you have an idea, please let me know.

@maggu2810 said:
    If the load is caused by the GApps itself, isn't the question valid why it works on other custom ROMs for various android phones?

I don't know any other ROM for a device with about 700MB of RAM and SD card as primary persistent memory storage (for the system itself, not for user data) which supports GApps.

@maggu2810 said:
    It would be great if it is possible to integrate the Google Play Services and the Google Play Store as a user of your ROM to allow installation of already paid applications (so the license checks succeed) and of applications that rely on the Play Services.

It is possible. Install it, wait X hours for all the background downloads and optimizations to finish, restart it several times and it will be fine. You have to wait additional time after each boot though.

• @kalkov said:

@maggu2810 said:
    So, perhaps the most of us are interested in the answer of the question how to integrate the GApps into your ROM without getting high CPU and I/O load.

I can't come up with a way for this. If you have an idea, please let me know.

Could using a MicroSD of category A1 or A2 (currently not yet on the market) solve the problem?
    I had posted a post about this but no one was able to respond:

https://forum.emteria.com/discussion/386/faster-microsd-card-r-w-speed-or-more-iops#latest

Theoretically, increasing the IOPS should also reduce the MicroSD overload.

• I don't know, we didn't test it. It looks promising, but I can't give any evidence. It has to be tested first.

• edited May 2018

@kalkov said:
    I don't know, we didn't test it. It looks promising, but I can't give any evidence. It has to be tested first.

anyway I bought a MicroSD in promo on amazon.
    I attach the link:
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XYT37NK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This looks very promising.

• edited June 2018

@whitecider said:
    is there a way to download an older version of emteria say 0.5.11 which was working?

I'm currently writing this on 5.11, I have had gapps for sometime. Now launcher is crashing very often, apps that take 80mb of CPU mostly crash. Is gapps not working with v5.16?

• They do, but they need a long time to settle down and you have to wait after each boot.

• @kalkov said:
    They do, but they need a long time to settle down and you have to wait after each boot.

How long does it usually takefor the wait (if you know) after each boot?

• After the initial setup (which can take up to several hours and multipe restarts)? It depends on the device, sd card and other apps... maybe a couple of minutes?

• Basically after the initial setup I should get gapps and let it run overnight?

• From what I have heard, you should leave it for 2-3 hours and restart manually. Multiple times.

• @kalkov said:
    From what I have heard, you should leave it for 2-3 hours and restart manually. Multiple times.

Ah ok. Thanks! =)

• @Darkplatinum said:

@kalkov said:
    They do, but they need a long time to settle down and you have to wait after each boot.

How long does it usually takefor the wait (if you know) after each boot?

In my case I have to wait for approx. 45 minutes. You can work during this time, but the system performance is very bad.

• @kalkov the solution I proposed worked!

I did some tests and putting a MicroSD type A1 the system is much more stable, faster and I was able to install the Playstore.
    "System Optimization" disappeared at the second start and did not appear anymore.
    The Playstore is very stable, except when you need to install apps. I suggest direct installation from the search menu instead of selecting the application and installing it from there.

I attach links for reference on which model I have purchased:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XYT37NK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would like to know whether other people have solved the problem with this solution.

• Awesome, thanks for sharing! I think it will be a little bit too expensive for most users, but it is definitely good to know. We will add this hit to our help tutorial.

• @kalkov said:
    Awesome, thanks for sharing! I think it will be a little bit too expensive for most users, but it is definitely good to know. We will add this hit to our help tutorial.

I am very pleased about this.
    If I have any news on this, I will be happy to share it with the community.

• This sounds very promising. I'll probably be testing the performance improvements of A2 rated cards as well.

• edited September 2019

Has anyone found success using GAPPS using one of these? https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-microSD-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B07FCMBLV6/
    Much cheaper (and in stock) on amazon with a higher IOPs rating (A2 instead of A1)

edit: after more research, it seems like the originally recommended extreme PRO has v90 write speeds while the card I mention has v30 speeds. Nevertheless, if someone can vouch for the v30 card, it would be very helpful!

• I don't think the speed of the SD card is going to make much difference.

• @Cee123 said:
    I don't think the speed of the SD card is going to make much difference.

Update: You are right. This new SD card made no difference. GAPPS is still unusable.