Enable Bluetooth on Raspberry Pi3

Hi,
in order to test my use case, i need to enable the BT connection. Is there a way to enable it? (even if it´s buggy)

Thank you!

Comments

• You can enable BT by the standard way. Use the button at the top or enable it via settings. We tried it to connect a BT speaker and it works fine.

• Unfortunately not. The slider can be moved, but does not stay in the enabled position. Device is a brand new Model B+

• That's strange. When we used it, it worked absolutely fine. But to be honest currently we have connected the speaker via 3.5 directly to the touchscreen.

I now have tested it here on my test system and BT seems to work fine. I enabled BT via settings and all other BT devices around were found.

• I know :neutral: tried apps with BT access to enable it but no luck so far. Everything else works like a charm.

• Bluetooth doesn't currently work on the B+ since it uses a new and different chip from the older B. If you absolutely need it for your application, I'd recommend using the B.

• Alright, thanks for the clarification. Any chance to see a new build for the b+ soon?

• It is very high in our priority list, but we can't provide any estimations yet.

• Hopefully in the near future, have a b+ and need BT, already bought a license ;)

• edited April 2018

Bluetooth support (RPI 3b+) is keeping me off the os for now

• Its in our top 5 list. Stay tuned!

• Is bluetooth problem solved?

• No, B+ refuses to load the updated firmware. We don't know why.

• I'm new to the Emteria party - I have an RPi 3B+, and from my understanding BT doesn't work - but is that BT as a whole, or just the onboard BT?

For my usage, I need BT, but I'm quite happy to just get a BT USB if that's what's needed - so is it BT doesn't work full-stop, or it just doesn't work with the inbuilt BT?

• Hi! I've the same problem: RPI 3B+ with unsupported on-board BT. Without BT my application is completely useless... idea to solve the problem? Is there a BT usb doongle that is working with 3B+?

• Hi. Any news on the bluetooth support for the 3B+?

• anything new to this issue yet? anyone used a bt dongle with success?
  • edited September 2018

You guys need to disable the on-board bluetooth module by adding the following line to config.txt

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

After that plug your USB bluetooth dongle & reboot.

In my case my MSI Bluetooth dongle wasn't working because i assume there is missing driver.
    If any of you had success with his own bluetooth dongle then post feedback here.

• edited September 2018

The attached logcat assumes that my USB bluetooth dognle is ttyAMA0
    Which is loaded from /etc/bluetooth/bt_vendor.conf
    Is that why it doesn't work?

• edited September 2018

Hi,
    Regarding all the above replies suggesting to use a USB BT dongle, Is there anyone who actually owns it in order to verify whether it works or not?
    P.S. My USB BT works fine using Raspbian stretch and LibreElec after i disabled the on-board bluetooth the same way i described above.

• Can we expect any update to the b+? Waiting since april for an bluetooth update... Payed for license, up to now for nothing...

• @kalkov said:
    It is very high in our priority list, but we can't provide any estimations yet.

how high is high?

• @mcpat There are no error messages, so we have no idea where to look for the problem right now :(

• edited October 2018

It's unbelievable that no one owns a bluetooth USB adapter to give us any feedback whether it works or not!
    @kalkov Is there any plans to make it work?

Bdw: i been waiting for an answer regarding this issue since October 2017 :neutral:
    https://forum.emteria.com/discussion/comment/238/#Comment_238

• @roxette

Hello, which USB bt-dongle do you use? I have adapted the config but have not yet found a dongle that works.

• edited October 2018

@Mauli, i use MSI bt adapter which works fine using Raspbian & LibreElec after editing the config file.
    It even works flawlessly while playing games using Logitech bluetooth keyboard on EmulationStation & Retroarch.
    However, it refuses to work on Emteria.
    but have not yet found a dongle that works
    This means that you tried many bt adapters but none worked?
    Or you you are still trying to find an adapter that works?

• edited November 2018

Similarly, there are also problems with the bluetooth module, turned it off in the system, put usb-bluetooth, but also did not see it. Bluetooth is also important to connect to the car radio. the sound comes with terrible stuttering. Even with wi-fi turned off, although it works perfectly. I tried a lot of firmware the same story. See the problem in my pb3. One of these days I will travel around the city to check different usb-bluetooth can help. I thought at first that it was only my problem.

Ugeen Bluetooth adapter model/

• edited November 2018

I have doubt that it's missing driver + missing bt HAL as well.
    As it's described in the following logcat
    09-06 02:32:40.996 4268 4284 I bt_vnd_conf: Attempt to load conf from /etc/blu
    etooth/bt_vendor.conf
    09-06 02:32:40.996 4268 4284 D bt_hci : start_up starting async portion
    09-06 02:32:40.996 4268 4293 I bt_hci : event_finish_startup
    09-06 02:32:40.996 4268 4293 I bt_hci_h4: hal_open
    09-06 02:32:40.996 4268 4293 I bt_userial_vendor: userial vendor open: opening
    /dev/ttyAMA0

It's configured to open /dev/ttyAMA0 only. (for the built-in bt module)
    I was thinking if i can change that in bt_vendor.conf however my bt USB adapter is not recognized because of missing driver.

• edited November 2018

Here is LibreELEC bt log using the same bt dongle which refuses to work on Emteria, i don't see anything special though :#

[ 284.816091] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0db0, idProduct=1967
    [ 284.816105] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
    [ 284.853508] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
    [ 284.853574] NET: Registered protocol family 31
    [ 284.853579] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
    [ 284.853599] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
    [ 284.853611] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
    [ 284.853640] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
    [ 284.867216] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb
    [ 285.167771] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
    [ 285.167797] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
    [ 285.167814] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
    [ 417.854487] Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
    [ 417.854525] Bluetooth: HIDP socket layer initialized
    [ 498.789966] hid-generic 0005:046D:B30A.0002: unknown main item tag 0x0
    [ 498.790474] input: Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro(TM) as /devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:42/0005:046D:B30A.0002/input/input2
    [ 498.793349] hid-generic 0005:046D:B30A.0002: input,hidraw1: BLUETOOTH HID v1.1b Mouse [Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro(TM)] on 00:0c:76:71:99:e0
    LibreELEC:~ #

Edit: when i switched back to Emteria i noticed that the bt dongle is recognized but it just goes in a loop looking for the built-in bt module.

• I have to admit we are not working on this feature right now, as there were no new hints on why it doesn't work :confused: We are going to update to a new kernel first and re-try loading the BT firmware.

• @kalkov said:
    I have to admit we are not working on this feature right now, as there were no new hints on why it doesn't work :confused: We are going to update to a new kernel first and re-try loading the BT firmware.

Which feature do you mean?
    Using bluetooth USB adapter?
    Do you have one to test?

• I mean using builtin Bluetooth module on RPi 3B+.
    We don't have external USB Bluetooth adapters at our lab :disappointed: Probably we should just purchase one and give it a shot.

• I am having the same problem with RPi 3B+. Even an external USB BT dongle is not working

• @kalkov said:
    I mean using builtin Bluetooth module on RPi 3B+.
    We don't have external USB Bluetooth adapters at our lab :disappointed: Probably we should just purchase one and give it a shot.

I have tried with an external one. Still fails terribly

• Connected a obd2 Bluetooth to the rpi 3b but the issue is the device shows up that it paired but it says disconnected under Bluetooth trying to figure where the miscommunication is to why it won't stay active.

• Good night!
    After reading the comments about the lack of bluetooth connection on the Raspberry pi 3 b +, I do not understand why the technical team has not yet presented a solution regarding bluetooth connection. In the end, we are talking about a paid product !!
    If I have not fully discussed this issue, please indicate how to resolve this issue.

• Because some problems are easy to solve and others aren't. We don't have a solution for Bluetooth on B+ yet.

• @kalkov At least then indicate a palliative solution to have the audio, because at the moment the Raspberry pi3 b + has no audio. The p2's audio is poor in quality with interference. Could you indicate a way to get audio?

• @bruno25191, this topic is about bluetooth. Please feel free to check our forum for audio-related threads and ask your question there.

• @kalkov said:
    @bruno25191, this topic is about bluetooth. Please feel free to check our forum for audio-related threads and ask your question there.

is you are right about bluetooth it seems to me that there is nothing to disrespect (DOES NOT WORK THE BLUETOOTH OF EMETRIA !!!)

• Hi guys,

I made a small project and now need the RPi to enable bluetooth automatically after bootup. Because It needs to connect to a bluetooth controller. Otherwise, I have to go into settings (with mouse and/or keyboard) and this is not the intention.

Is there a way/config/... to do so?
    Thanks a lot!

• Are there any updates?

• Figured it out (more or less)

Can't do much, but the bluetooth seems to enable itself after a while.
    So only solution is to wait (around 1 min after bootup)

Cheers

• edited April 2019

@Sasha said:
    Figured it out (more or less)

Cheers

NO LUCK FOR ME :(
    BT seems enable , when some of my programme switch on it . but only about 10 second, turn off again :(

• @skw1128 said:

@Sasha said:

Cheers

BT seems enable , when some of my programme switch on it . but only about 10 second, turn off again :(

Same issues to me. I'm using a Raspberry pi3 B+.

Do we need to add a bluetooth dongle to the Raspberry pi3 B+ ?

Do Emeteria have a solution for this issue ?

Cheers

• Bluetooth does not work on the 3B+ and @kalkov has said this many times.

This is mentioned all over the forum if people just used the search function.

• @sgrayban said:
    Bluetooth does not work on the 3B+ and @kalkov has said this many times.

This is mentioned all over the forum if people just used the search function.

Sorry sgrayban.

I will hope to a solution from emteria...
    This isssues with the bluetooth is specific with the 3B+ or BT it's working with the older version on Raspberry ?

Cheers,

• It's just the 3B+

• @Driss said:

@skw1128 said:

@Sasha said:

Cheers

Same issues to me. I'm using a Raspberry pi3 B+.

Do we need to add a bluetooth dongle to the Raspberry pi3 B+ ?

Do Emeteria have a solution for this issue ?

Cheers

I ended up giving up running and even put another device to perform the function of bluetooth, the system was losing the purpose considering the portability of raspberry was sendable to keep the emmetry in the device

• Without Bluetooth can't do what I want to do so time to erase my evaluation after only a few hours. Oh well.

• When bluetooth will finally work on pi3 b+ ?

• Is there any update for the BT support on RPI 3 B+? Please ...

• Is this being actively working on? Kinda ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet

• Seems to be broken on 3B as well. Turns on but can't hold a connection.

• edited September 2019

Looking forward to this also? Is Emteria being actively developed? The latest beta doesn't even support the official touch screen?!? Could be that our best hope is that the Pi 4 gets official Android support

• Yes, the OS is being actively developed. There will be no solution for BT with Android 7 and RPi 3B/+. Further Android versions are likely to have working BT.

• i have the same problem, a USB BT doongle doesnt work ether and sorry guys but this problem seems to be xince 1 year.... i bought a license and i hope the guys doing something quickly !

• edited April 2020
    Hi, same problem here with a RPI 3 B+.
    The USB dongle from my Trust mouse works fine, but my keyboard (that I use with a tablet) doesn't have a dongle and I caonnt connect it.
    I have a licence and it doesn't make sense that two years later, there is no answer or solution.
  • Are you serious this still is not fixed? Come on guys. I am about to pull the trigger on a license but Bluetooth is an very important part of my project. Whith out it is worthless.

What’s the deal? In this day in age not having BT support is just ridiculous.

• Similar to Themlruts, I am evaluating RPI3B+ with Emteria to use Bluetooth and TeamViewer Host. Alas, I didn't know Bluetooth is not working at all!
  • Just discovered this today and cannot believe I've paid for an OS with no bluetooth support.
  • Anything yet? I just randomly tried again after am update, but no joy it seems

• edited July 2022

Hi I'm new here - I have an RPi 400, Emteria OS V11.8 same BT Problem.
    I can't enable BT by the standard way. The slider turn always to the off position. Is there an issue with configuring BT or an OS Update?

• Hi @Nilius, although the problem might seem similar, it's completely different hardware. Please open a new thread for BT issues on RPi400. Please also add a log: https://emteria.com/kb/bug-reporting#ADB
    You should also try, if BT is working on RaspberryPi OS for RPi400